ISU University Museums
Main Content

Donor Highlight: Rachel Flint

Posted on August 6, 2023 at 1:00 PM by Kelly Applegate

Rachel Flint first became involved with University Museums as collections manager from 2001–2004. Although her career veered away from museums work, she continues to support the Museums philanthropically.

“I believe in [the] mission of visual literacy as those skills translate readily to most industries. It's a form of critical thinking, which is desperately needed in today's society. I see it in the business world every day.”

Rachel’s most recent gift to University Museums supports the Tom Stancliffe exhibitions coming to the Christian Petersen Art Museum this fall. Rachel knew Tom when he was Professor of Art at the University of Northern Iowa and she worked as a student and Interim Director of the UNI Gallery of Art. “Tom was always supportive of me as a young kid trying to figure it all out. He treated me as an equal in the art department staff meetings and during show,” said Flint. “It may not have registered to him at the time, but it meant the world to me. Now, nearly 25 years later, it's my turn to be supportive of him.”

Philanthropy is important to Rachel as a way of showing appreciation. “Giving back to organizations and individuals who have helped shape me is everything to me. I'm fortunate I'm able to do so. I hope it sparks others to do the same.” 

Rachel’s years of work with museums has given her greater insight into the importance of private support for the arts. “Having worked in non-profits for seven years prior to real estate, I know how hard they work to make things happen on a tight budget. Each gift, no matter the size, moves the needle. It's needed now more than ever.”

To learn more about the ways University Museums receives support and how you can give the way Rachel Flint gives, contact Kelly Applegate, Associate Director of Development for University Museums, at 515.531.0102 or kapplegate@foundation.iastate.edu.

Categories: Donors

Comments
There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2024 University Museums, Iowa State University. All rights reserved.